Laughing is one of the total body, mind, and soul activities in which you are able to involve all aspects of your being. As such, a laughing inner focus creates a simple yet powerful centering experience.
This inner awareness exercise is done in two stages. Each stage can be anywhere from 10-15 minutes, and the stages do not have to be equal in length.
- Sit in a comfortable position, with your eyes open.
- Take a few deep breaths, exhaling slowly between each, to relax and focus.
- To begin simply laugh, and when you stop, just start laughing again. It may help to think of humorous situations, to recall your favorite jokes, to make funny faces, and even to think how silly it is to do a laughing inner awareness exercise.
- If tears come, allow yourself to cry for a few moments before bringing yourself back to the laughter. Even though you are in a sitting position do not be rigid. Allow your body to move and express itself with the laughter.
- Remain sitting in a comfortable position, with your eyes closed this time.
- Take a few deep breaths, exhaling slowly between each, to make the transition from Phase One to Phase Two.
- Become aware and mindful of your mind, body and emotions. Notice any thoughts that surface and any feelings that occur. Become attentive to any intuitive messages you may receive.
- When you feel ready, take another deep breath, focus for a few moments on the words LAUGHTER and JOVIALITY, then take a few more deep breaths.
- Allow a smile to crease your face just before you laugh for a couple of minutes. Enjoy the refreshment and renewal created by the levity. Remain silent for a few moments before you end this centering experience.
© 2001 Bil and Cher Holton, YourSpiritualPractice.com