Rhythmic Body Business
Focused, contemplative practice allows your physical body to relax as you let go of daily activities and tension, and it opens channels of mindful awareness as you achieve a meditative mental state. This technique allows you to enjoy the rhythmic alignment of your body as you listen to music. You will notice your breathing and body match the tempo of your favorite music as each complements the other.
- Select a piece of music that speaks to you emotionally. (Some examples are: Nocturne from Secret Garden; The theme from Out of Africa; Pachelbel’s Canon). Turn the volume up as high as you can comfortably allow it.
- Select a place where you will have enough space to move freely and expressively.
- Stand in a position near your music so you can easily start it and ready yourself for your movements which will follow.
- Begin your music.
- Relax, and become aware of your normal breathing pattern. Focus on your breathing until you feel calm, relaxed, and peaceful.
- Allow your breathing to match the tempo of the music. This may take a few moments as you get used to the rhythm. You may want to close your eyes, but that’s not a requirement.
- Begin moving your body in time with the music. Flow with what you are hearing, without worrying about how it looks. Focus on feeling the music, and expressing that feeing through your movements. If you’ve closed your eyes, allow yourself to focus totally on the music. Become aware of how your body feels as it flows and moves rhythmically with the music.
- When the music ends, slowly allow yourself to return to your original comfortable position. Take several cleansing breaths, and slowly return your awareness to your standing position.
- Capture your experience in your journal, including your thoughts and feelings throughout the activity and any insights you gained.
© 2000, 2008 Bil and Cher Holton, YourSpiritualPractice.com